Our Mission & GoalsThe BHL Center will address the issues of health and life development for underserved populations. Specifically, the mission of the BHL Center is to help underserved populations have better health and life through transdisciplinary research and program development.
- Develop, implement and evaluate community-based programs to address health disparities in underserved populations.
- Conduct research on health disparities and underserved populations that informs the program development process.
- Develop, implement and evaluate higher education programs to create a pool of educated and qualified graduates for the health professions who desire to work with underserved populations.
Why BHL Center?
- Community-based interventions such as health promotion programs provide a mechanism to deliver evidenced-based knowledge to community populations. Used in conjunction with experimental and clinical approaches, health promotion programs are an important component in the research continuum to ultimately impact human health.
- Mentoring the current generation of higher education students is an important contributor to eliminating health disparities, giving the small percentage of students from underserved backgrounds currently in the health professions (e.g., 9 percent of nurses, 6% of medical doctors and 5% of dentists). Developing a cadre of allied health professionals who are well-prepared and committed to underserved populations will provide the human capital needed to tackle health disparities.
Give to BHL
We are delighted to provide you with an opportunity to provide financial support for the Center on Better Health and Life at Florida State University! Our mission is to help underserved populations have better health and life through research and program development. In fulfilling this mission, we mentor and train students to be future researchers. If you would like to support students in their training or help us to do outreach in the community, please go to the link below and complete the donation form. Thank you in advance for your generosity.
The BHL Center is available to provide consulting service on a fee for service basis in the following categories:
- Conference Planning
- Instructional Development
- Program Evaluation
- Project Coordination
- Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Teacher Training and Workshops
- Writing and Editing